Lesson plans with ideas and activities for the youngest school-age children, exploring words, sounds and meanings. Lots of collaboration, shared writing and enjoyment.
Lesson on 'The News' by Michael Rosen
- To discuss the nature of nonsense poetry and how it turns what we think of as everyday life and language upside down to create new and strange meanings
- To write a simple nonsense poem through the technique of repetition and juxtaposition of unlikely phrases
Inclusion: 'The Boneyard Rap' by Wes Magee
- To play with sounds and actions in a poem
- To explore ways of performing a poem
- To find different ways to convey the atmosphere of a poem
Lesson on 'Granny Is' by Valerie Bloom
- To discuss the way the poem uses simple metaphors to describe the character and personality of 'Granny'
- To make a poem using metaphorical descriptions of a family member